Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A 31 Day Journey to the Altar: Where and When



When G and I began planning this blessed event, the first answer we needed was when?  We both thought about our work schedules and when we tend to be the busiest and what time of year would lend itself to taking a week off after the wedding for a little honeymoon, and we decided that the month of May would give us enough time to plan without feeling too rushed and hurried.  I had waited my turn for this little wedding to happen and I wanted to savor the planning process! :)  

The next thing I knew, I was calling the church I had been attending for a while and speaking with the secretary.  I asked what was available in May and after a few moments of consulting the church calendar, she said, "What about May 11?"  It was the only date available and this was 9 months prior in August!!  I'm so glad we thought to book the church first!  It certainly made selecting a date easy -- no options. :)  I remember telling Carol to put us down and then calling G and asking him how May 11 sounded to him!  I remember thinking how exciting it was that we actually had a date.  Somehow that made everything seem even more real!

We chose to get married in the town where we both live since we have each lived here for over 10 years.  Also, the church where we married is absolutely one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen!  It is a historic church that carries with it great personal meaning along with the beauty of the space.
photo courtesy Kelly Hosch Photography
The above photo is of the stained glass dome in the ceiling above the front of the sanctuary.  GORGEOUS!!
photo courtesy Kelly Hosch Photography
The outside of the church is beautiful, too, with its curved architecture.  I was so thankful that we were able to exchange such sacred vows in such a beautiful and holy place.

Once we had the date, my very next call was to my childhood pastor because if he wasn't available, we would just have to look at other months of the year!  He has been such an instrumental part of my faith journey throughout my life and I was so thankful he was able to perform the ceremony.

After determining the place for the ceremony and the officiant, we began looking at places for the reception.  We had a rough idea of the number of people we wanted to invite, so that played a role in finding the right space.  When we saw the Phoenix Ballroom, we knew we had found the perfect spot.


The natural light, the chandeliers, the wood floors and beams, and the exposed brick fireplace offered the perfect potential pallet for the beautiful evening of dinner and dancing I dreamed of.
 I knew that in May a roaring fire in the fireplace would not be possible, but perhaps lighted candles scattered about could offer a similar romantic ambiance!  I was elated to find out the Phoenix was available on our date and relieved to confirm our reservation.  The other wonderful part was that it was just a short walk from the church and right across the street from the hotel where we were planning to reserve a block of rooms!  Everything was coming together. :)


My Erin Condren planner was one of the best investments I made and over the next 9 months it certainly got a workout.  It was the perfect place to hold business cards, make to-do lists, and keep me on schedule!  I loved watching the days fill with wedding details.

I had dreamed about planning this wedding for a long time and from the beginning, it was a joy to see all the pieces begin to come together.  Thanks for joining me on this journey!

This post is Day 3 of a 31 day series with The Nester's 31 Days of Blogging.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)