Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Word for Christmas

In church on Sunday during the singing of a familiar and favorite Christmas Carol, I was struck by a phrase that impacted me in a new and powerful way.  In the second verse of "What Child is This?", "the silent Word is pleading" is the phrase that stood out and seemed to capture Christmas for me.  I was simultaneously convicted and renewed. 

In the gospel of John, Christ is described as the Word.  "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."  John 1:1.  I imagined how the hymn writer would describe Jesus as the "silent Word" in this hymn and what a powerful image we anticipate each Christmas season as we look into the manger and see One, fully God and fully man being born to us, so we might experience true life in Him.  He came into this world to save us because of his immense and powerful love for us. 

I think the word plead stood out to me the most and reminded me in a new and fresh way of how Christ does plead for each of us to turn our lives to Him, to live the life abundant He calls us to and desires for each of us to experience.  May you experience the love of God in a mighty and renewing way this Christmas season.

"This, this is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing; 
haste, haste, to bring Him laud, the Babe, the son of Mary."

 -William Chatterton Dix, 1865                      





                    

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Carroll! :) Our pastor actually brought up this hymn in his Christmas eve sermon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)