Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fall at our House

In October, we started thinking about what we wanted to do to decorate our house for fall.  Since it is our first year in our house, it has been fun/overwhelming at times to think of where to put things.  This fall, I loved sorting through decorations that we already had and moving them around the house until they seemed to be in their home.  Of course, no fall home update would be complete without a little trip to Lowe's and Hobby Lobby! ;)




One sunny October afternoon, the mister and I headed to Lowe's to buy a mum for our front porch and some flowers for our mailbox flower bed.  I had to take a photo of this moment because I couldn't believe I was a part of this little Lowe's trip!  I know I sound silly, but for years I had seen sweet families as they added different decor to their front porches for each season and I, too, enjoyed sprucing up my little apartment, but wondered if finding someone to share these little everyday joys would be part of my life's picture.  I just had to stop for a moment in the garden section of Lowe's and swallow back tears of thankfulness as we found a sweet mum for our front porch and added it to our cart.  

When we bought the mum it hadn't flowered, but was covered in buds and we have gotten to enjoy it for a very long time!  If you don't need a blooming mum right away, I would advise buying one still in the bud stage.  Ours bloomed a glorious yellow.  We'll see how our chilly temps this weekend affect it.

We found these beautiful flowers for our flower bed and I just love the color combinations.  They added the perfect pop to our mailbox.

Inside our house, we were able to use several wedding gifts to coordinate with some fall accents.  The table runner and placemats were wedding gifts and I absolutely love the gold color and pattern.  They work great year-round, but our autumn accents fit right in with the color scheme, too!  One of my precious friends had given me those adorable napkins and napkin rings one year for my birthday and I loved how they coordinated with our placemats.  I guess I tried out the pattern mixing I'm always hearing about!  The silver tray was a gorgeous wedding gift and I loved the way my metallic acorns and the mister's candles worked together on the tray.  I guess our fall decor is a definite merge! (Did you ever watch that show with Lisa Rinna?  I loved it!!)

In the entry way, we found this fall flowering branch at Hobby Lobby and placed it inside an amber Blenco jug we received as a wedding gift.  I added the cute little pumpkin soup toureen (another wonderful birthday prezzy from a sweet friend!  It's really one in a set of four pumpkins in the cutest colors.  I love to fill them with candy during the fall) and G's candle from his bachelor days. :)  I loved the way this combo worked on our entry table and mirror.


Another fun item to style was this beautiful urn we received as a wedding gift.  I had been looking forward to filling it with different decor for the seasons ever since it found a home by our fireplace and was elated that these pumpkins and spheres worked well together here.  A little tip I discovered was to fill the urn with plastic sacks or newspaper, so the seasonal items will fill to the top.  The urn is empty all the way through and this offered the effect I was hoping for.  I've already got some ideas for making this little item more Christmasy!



The final stop on our tour is the fall wreath I made out of deco mesh.  I had always been intrigued by these wreaths when I would see them on Pinterest and decided to go for it and see if I could put one together myself.  We found everything we needed at Hobby Lobby, including the coppery wide deco mesh, a narrower burlap wired ribbon, wreath frame, and the cute fall accent picks.  I leaned heavily on this fantastic video tutorial to make my wreath and had some major assistance from the hot glue for the fall pumpkins, leaves and flowers to stay in place.  The best part was that this fall accent didn't break the bank.  I think we were in luck that most of the items we purchased that day were on sale. 

I had so much fun decorating our home for fall and am looking forward to hosting our first Thanksgiving here!  Hope you are having a good weekend.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)