Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wade in the Water

After touring Bet She'an, we loaded the bus and headed to the Jordan River.  As I remember it, it was raining on our drive there and continued as we stood on the banks of the river.  
The area of the Jordan we visited is prepared specifically for groups to experience baptism.
Those of us who wished to participate donned robes and gathered together.  It was a tremendous blessing to see groups from all over the world take part in the ordinance of baptism. 
Prior to taking to the waters, we listened to a special word from one of the pastors who traveled with us.


Though I had been baptized after accepting Christ as my Savior at the age of 6, the idea of experiencing baptism in the same body of water where my Savior was baptized was incredible.

So I stepped into the chilly water and walked carefully on the slippery stones

And received the sweet gift of a renewed commitment to my journey with Christ.

It was a precious and sacred moment and I am so thankful I was able to experience it.
Our group
One of our professors and fearless leaders!
All around the baptismal area were tiles with Mark 1:9-11 in different languages.
"In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.” (NRSV)

The next day we journeyed to Jerusalem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)