Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bangers and Mash

The Barefoot Contessa, one of my favorite Food Channel personalities, is the author of one of my Christmas gifts this year, her How Easy is That? cookbook.  I had been looking forward to trying one of the delectable delights within its pages and at the same time realized that I had quite a few potatoes in my pantry.
Therefore, I chose a recipe that would include mashed potatoes, the British favorite Bangers and Mash.  I had not heard much about this dish as I recall although the name did have a ring of familiarity as I glanced through the pages.  This recipe for mash was specifically mustard mash and it did not disappoint.  Although I had dreams of uses chicken and feta sausages, these things of dreams did not exist at my local HEB, but the sausages I found were yummy enough.  Now do not get me wrong, we have several fine HEB establishments where I live, but the ingredients for the dish did make me long for a Central Market or Whole Foods nearby.  One of the ingredients was creme fraiche, which I modified with a little bit of cream and buttermilk.

Needless to say this recipe might not be on the top of a lowfat menu, but it is devine and full of flavor.  Perhaps next time I will plan a strategic trip to Austin or Dallas for the true, more accurate ingredients and try again.  And, if you are wondering if the title of the book is true to the recipes within, I will leave you with the photo I took of the finished product:   
I did add my own Green Giant single serve broccoli and cheese for a little veggie, but the rest is all Ina!
How Easy is That?! :)


1 comment:

  1. I've had real life bangers & mash in London. I can't say I was that impressed by it...but I am impressed that you made it! Great work! I always make the same ol' same ol' all the time. I should branch out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)