Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Jesus Boat

As we journeyed from Sepphoris to the Jesus boat museum, we saw a rainbow!
Magdala was one our way to the museum.  I was so thrilled to see this village because Mary Magdelene is one of my absolute favorites!  I read a historical fiction biography about her by Margaret George and it was wonderful.  I highly recommend it!
Another view of Magdala


A beautiful mosaic outside the museum


On the walls of the exhibit were photographs demonstrating the process of discovery and a restoration of the boat.


This image illustrates all of the different types of wood used to build the boat.

And here it is!  Amazing that it has survived, isn't it?!

This picture is of the mezuza outside of the hotel room.  Each hotel room has one and in it is the Shema:
"Hear, O Israel: the Lord is our God, the Lord is one."
Deuteronomy 6:4

And just for kicks, when we returned to the hotel and flipped on the ole tube, look what was playing -- Bonanza!  I couldn't believe I was all the way in Israel and there were Hoss and Ben Cartwright. :)

That evening was Ash Wednesday and so we had a special service where we gave and received the ashes.  Chris preached a wonderful sermon about ripping out the sin in our lives and not just mowing it down.  It was a sacred and special moment that I was so grateful to experience. 

Next time, we are on our way to Mount Carmel...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)