Thursday, September 15, 2011

Jerusalem Morning

Our hotel in Jerusalem was fabulous!!
And look at the beautiful day that greeted us on our first day in Jerusalem! 
I was so overwhelmed when I first saw the city that I couldn't stop taking pictures.

These were all taken from the perspective of the Mount of Olives.






In this photo, the East Gate is toward the right front portion and the Temple Mount is where the mosque with the gold dome is.

This area is the southern part of Jerusalem and I believe the tall pillar almost in the center back of the photo is near the place traditionally identified with the Last Supper.

The area to the left in this photo is the "City of David", the older part of Jerusalem.
Almost right in the middle -- just to the left -- you may notice a red tile roof peeking out.  That building is near Caiphas's home, where Jesus was tried.

In this photo toward the back just right of the center, you may notice a dominant cypress tree.  That tree is near the place where the Garden Tomb is located.  We ventured there later, but this helps to see it in the context of the entire city.


This church is situated on the Mount of Olives and is over the traditional site where Jesus wept over the city of Jerusalem:
41 As he came near and saw the city, he wept over it,
42 saying, "If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.
43 Indeed, the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up ramparts around you and surround you, and hem you in on every side.
44 They will crush you to the ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave within you one stone upon another; because you did not recognize the time of your visitation from God."
Luke 19:41-44 (NRSV)



This tree is situated in front of the church and is likely the type of tree from which the soldiers crafted the crown of thorns.
Behind our tour guide, Dan, is a large Jewish cemetery adjacent to the Mount of Olives.

The wall in front is the Eastern wall of Jerusalem.

Even as I type this, I remember why it was so difficult for me to smile in this photo.  The reality of arriving at the city where my Lord was crucified was setting in.  I knew I would in no way be able to prepare myself for the experience I was about to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)